Pan-fried cod with quinoa, mushrooms & fennel
Posted by Liz Downey on
Try this healthy, easy recipe for a quick weeknight meal.
pan fry / fish / quinoa / cilantro / fennel / mushrooms
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1–2 cod fish fillets (choose whichever is sustainable for the time of year)
- 1 cup Bonterra Organic or other organic white wine
- 1/2 cup Shitake mushrooms washed, dried and chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro washed, dried, and loosely chopped (discard most of stem or save to use in a juice or stock)
- 1 cup Quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water (can use organic stock if you have it on hand)
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (will be divided)
- 2 Tbsp ghee (will be divided)
- 1 bunch of fennel, washed, dried and set aside for later
- 1 non-coated sauté pan
- 1 non-coated medium size stock pan
Putting It All Together:
Get your quinoa going first, then begin fish. While these two are on stove top, prepare fennel for after dinner.
- In a small pan, add 2 cups water or stock, quinoa, chopped shitake and 1 Tbsp ghee over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce to low. Should take about 15 minutes. Once it’s fluffy add 2 Tbsp coconut oil, stir, cover and let sit.
- Once your quinoa has been started, add remaining coconut oil to saute pan on medium heat. Place fillets in pan once hot, pour wine over fish and divide remaining Tbsp ghee. Disperse ghee along fish.
- Add cilantro throughout pan over fish. As fish continues to cook, baste fish with ghee, wine and coconut oil from pan. Cook 6–8 minutes on each side depending upon thickness.
- While preparing quinoa and fish, chop, wash and dry fennel. Place on a plate, cover with a non-fuzzing towel and place on counter for after dinner.
- Before removing fish from pan, baste again.
- Serve on top of or alongside quinoa. Can use extra fish stock as broth if desired.
Created by integrative health specialist Christine Dionese. Learn more about her practical approach to eating healthy & enjoying food by reading our interview with her here.